Friday, January 28, 2011

Really, that's what you want?

That is what I asked S. about 5 times tonight after she picked out the "block" she wants for her quilt. It started when she saw me making the first of the mug rugs for the mug rug swap. She was wondering when I would start on her quilt. I say to her that we need to figure out what you want. Do you want triangles, circles, squares, rectangles, big blocks? I told her that I would get out paper and start drawing some ideas this week. A few minutes later....when are you going to start my quilt? (She is nothing if not persistent.) I try to distract her by saying "how about I give you some books to look through? Even though they will not be pink, mommy can make any of them pink."

The first book she looks at is of course The Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman. Now I really like Oh Fransson blog. It is one that I first found when I realized that there were quilting blogs out there. So, S. shows me page 15 with the quilting supplies listed and says that these are used to make Ugly Dolls. The are really nice dolls but ugly. (She is only 4 after all.) Then she flips some more and finds what she wants. I ask really, that's what you want. Oh yes mommy. Let's keep looking I say.

After looks through the book, my darling daughter decided that she wants the block on page 21, except of course in PINK. Those that have the book are thinking but the projects don't start until much later in the book. The first part is how to make quilts. Yup, my 4 year old (although she will be 5 in 6 weeks) wants the color wheel that Elizabeth made to show "all about color" as the block in her quilt, but in pink. She would like a bunch of this "block" made into a pink quilt. Are you sure that's what you want?

YES MOMMY! That is what I want mine to be...but pink.

No comments: